Re: reproduction and childrearing

From: Nicola Griffith (NicolaZ@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 11:22:38 PDT

In a message dated 97-05-20 11:31:18 EDT, twood@CHASS.UTORONTO.CA (Tanya
Wood) writes:

<< Has anyone read the Charnas book "The Furies"-
 I believe it is the third in the "Motherlines" trilogy. I remember that
 she took a very long time indeed to write it and she aimed to reconcile
 the horsewomen and the society of Holdfast in this book. The fact that it
 is called 'The Furies" and features a furious looking female
 warrior on the cover might indicate that it has failed in her aim of
 heterosexual reconciliation. >>

I read THE FURIES less as an attempt to reconcile the two societies as an
exploration of power and, particularly, anger: the differences between the
genders' (note: I'm *not* talking about biological sex here, but the
combination of that and all its societal baggage) expression of outrage. I
thought it an interesting and brave book (though a wee bit talky for my
taste).

Nicola

Nicola Griffith
http://www.america.net/~daves/ng/