Re: First SF-Book

From: Ruth Ann Jones (jonesr@PILOT.MSU.EDU)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 07:25:35 PDT

Petra asked:

>That reminds me, what happened to the homepage of the WisCon
>conference and the James Tiptree award? Apparently it moved. Can
>somebody help me with the new www address?

http://www.sf3.org/ is the home page for the group that runs WisCon,
and they have a link to the Tiptree page as well.

>Another question: I have read LHOD in German (translated title
>"Winter Planet"). What does the expression "left hand of darkness"
>refer to? I imagine it is a standing English expression but could not
>find it in any reference book. Or does it refer to any part of the
>story? (I cannot remember enough of the details of the story.)

I'm fairly sure it's from a piece of poetry in the novel, and I believe
LeGuin wrote the poem for the novel - so far as I know it is not an
English or American idiomatic expression.

"Light is the left hand of darkness,
And darkness the right hand of light."

--Ruth Ann