Re: Please, help for an Almost Dead White Male?

From: Nicola Griffith (NicolaZ@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 10:55:09 PDT

In a message dated 97-05-21 02:58:35 EDT, jvl@ocsystems.com (Joel VanLaven)
writes:

On Tue, 20 May 1997, David Silver wrote:

> I teach a course called "Cyberworlds" to unsophisticated students. It is
> essentially a course in cyberpunk fiction, Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream
> of Electronic Sheep, etc. I have decided, at my daughter's instigation, to
> introduce a feminist cyberpunk novel into the course and I have chosen
> Melissa Scott's, Trouble and her Friends. The problem is that I have no
> idea how to analyze it from a feminist perspective.

Try looking at it from the point of view of how the characters relate to
their physical bodies. I think you'll find the attitudes quite different.
 Gibson's people don't think much of the flesh; Scott's do. A feminist
perspective might include analysis of the acceptance of cartesian dualism in
Gibson's work, and the rejection of it in Scott's, etc. etc. [If you're
interested, I wrote an essay, "Writing from the Body," about some of these
things from a personal perspective. It can be found on my homepage.]

Nicola

Nicola Griffith
http://www.america.net/~daves/ng/