Re: sf: canadian french and english

From: Christopher Shaffer (shaffer@uic.edu)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 19:14:35 PDT

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Heather MacLean wrote:

> Robin wrote, in response to Petra--
> >You do have an interesting point about the bulk of sf being written in the
> >'western world.' I know I've read some sf translated from Russian but
> >other than that I at least am ignorant about whether much sf, in any
> >guise, is being written in other languages. An earlier thread discussed
> >Magical Realism, a latin american genre whose 'fatastical' qualities
> >relate in some ways with sf & f. Are other people aware of sf written in
> >other languages or other genres or traditions that bear some relation to
> >sf from non-english cultures?
> >
> I think I remember a collection of Japanese sf that came out --gee, a while
> ago, perhaps 5-6 yrs? Interesting, and *quite* different stuff. Perhaps
> someone more detail-oriented (or smarter) can remember the title/editor,
> sorry...

I'm almost finished reading _HARD BOILED WONDERLAND and the End of the
World_ by Haruki Murakami, translated from Japanese by Alfred Birnbaum.
It has several very intelligent female characters, but I wouldn't call it
feminist. It's near future cypherpunk, alternating between modern Tokyo
and a walled city named the End of the World. Quite good. Very odd.

-----
The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better.' So I bought a Macintosh.
Chris Shaffer shaffer@uic.edu http://www.uic.edu/~shaffer/