'other' sf and f

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 21:56:46 PDT

Here are some titles:

_I, Tituba: Black Witch of Salem_ by Guadeloupe-born Maryse Conde'
_The Palm Wine Drinkard_ by African Amos Tutuola
_Feather Woman of the Jungle_, ditto
_Fire in the Canes_ by Barbadian Glenville Lovell
_Divina Trace_ by Trinidadian Robert Antoni
_The Black Insider_ by Dambudzo Marechera (Africa/England)

Closer to this part of the world, these American authors:

_Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau_ by Jewell Parker Rhodes
_Mumbo Jumbo_ and _Freelance Pallbearers_ by Ishmael Reed
_An Open Weave_ by devorah major
_Middle Passage_ by Charles Johnson
_The Gilda Stories_ by Jewelle Gomez
_The Between_ by Tananarive Due
_When Fox is a Thousand_ by Larissa Lai (Canada)

I'm also currently getting a serious buzz off Shani Mootoo's novel
_Cereus Blooms at Night (Caribbean/Canada). Not easily definable as
fantasy or magic realism, though it seems to kind of flirt with the latter.

-nalo

"While you're imitating Al Capone,
I'll be Nina Simone,
And be defecatin' on your microphone."