Re: heavy/thin/different ideals

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@york.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 06:21:10 PDT

On Fri, 23 May 1997 11:45:29 -0700 Maryelizabeth Hart wrote:

> Farah:
>
> I'm not sure if this is the story you are referring to, but there is one
> with a similar situation but a creative solution in the "Nine
Tomorrows"
> anthology. IIRC, robots are the source of the abundence.

I am pretty sure this is one of the stories in the fix-up. A poor man
desperate to placate his rich wife, who cannot cope with the
requirement to consume so much, sets up his robots to do the
consumption, terrified he will be found out. When he is, he is turned
into a hero for solving the problem of over-production. In the last
story in the fix-up, only robots are left on the earth, living essentially
as human beings.

Farah