Re: Fat SF

From: Janet Dowling (Janetdow@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 12:11:13 PDT

In a message dated 23/05/97 21:44:22, you write:

<< You might also show them the Williamsdorf Venus (spelling?), the
 original "Earth Mother," and point out that through most of human life on
 Earth, a fat person would have been a thing of wonder... I know that until
 contact and colonization here in Hawaii, the only fat people were the chiefs
 and their wives, and fatness was greatly admired. Technological
 civilization, and the millenia-long drop in food prices that accompanied
it,
 are responsible for making fatness an option for everybody in the developed
 world and thus making *thinness* the marker for high status...

I have had the most disconcerting expereince of being in Indonesia /Java,
where they regard people with a tendency to rotundness as an object of
beauty, and expression of wealth and good fortune.. So much so, that at a
social gathering people wanted to sit next to me because it would bring them
good luck.

I shall return to lurking on the list - and by the way my first exposure to
SF was the Narnia Books which inspired me at the age of 10 to write similar
other world expereinces, and spent quite a bit of my pre adolesence checking
the backs of wardrobes and swinging on lamp posts "just in case".

Janet D