Re: Re[2]: Topics of curiosity (was: yes, list is still here

From: SMCharnas (suzych@HIGHFIBER.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 09:49:51 PDT

At 1:36 PM 6/13/97, Susan Marie Groppi wrote:

>I doubt that Susan Ivanova
>would be significantly weakened by falling in love.

I would love to see an exploration of a strong woman being in love,
and I agree that in reality this need not weaken such a person (although
given the sexism of this culture the challenges are immense); but I
share the concern that on a tv series "falling in love" is generally
seen as something that strengthens male characters (by giving them
something outside themselves to "protect" or "revenge"), but weakens
female ones (by making them dependent on the beloved, usually male, for
protection). So we are talking on two levels here at once -- what may
be true for real people, and what cultural norms dictate must be true
for fictional ones.

Suzy MC