Re: B5 and queers

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 05:15:07 PDT

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:07:17 -0400 Robin Gordon wrote:

> But I must say I hardly watch DS9 anymore, Kira's pregrnancy and
Dax's
> relationship with Worf have disheartened me greatly, both used as
tools to
> diminish the strong independence of the character. I love Babylon
5, the
> ongoing and complex storyline and great political intrigues! I miss
> Na'Toth though too. And while she needs to loosen up her acting, I
like
> the new 'Number One' leader of the Mars rebellion.

Thanks for the hints, I look forward to them. Could B5 fans be aware
tho that we will not be receiving B5 in Britain again until July, No
spoilers please!

> Gay men in space? Alas, while gay male sexuality has always
been more
> visible, in continues to be more threatening to our culture as well.
Sure
> B5 hints that same-sex marriage is a norm in the future when
Marcus and
> Steven play a honeymoon couple on their first trip to mars, but
where are
> the real gay men?
>
> unapologetically a fan of television sf:
>
> Robin Gordon

Bujold's Ethan of Athos is a rare exception, beautifully and
sensitively written it is explicit without being explicit if you know what
I mean.

Farah