Re: was Re: And the course winds up...

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 05:21:23 PDT

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:37:34 -0400 Nalo Hopkinson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Neil Rest wrote:
>
> NH: Neil, you're right. Female genital infibulation is societally
> enforced mutilation; liposuction is not. Consider, however, that you
> could have made that simple statement to contradict Laura's
without the
> loaded words that you chose. If I were Laura, I'd be wounded. I'd
read
> them as a personal attack. I want to make a plea that we try to
discuss,
> disagree and even argue with each other without trying to take it out
of
> each other's hides.
>
> -nalo

Nalo, I just want to say that I din't see Neil's comments as loaded or
hard, they were very much what I wanted to say, but having heard too
many vituperative conversations on this subject, decided to stay
away. One issue -- and we can't avoid it-- is that many of us will take
comments from a woman that we will not accept (often for very good
reasons) from a man.

Farah