was Re: And the course winds up...

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@tezcat.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 11:38:13 PDT

(I'd hoped someone else would post the equivalent of this reply. No one
has, and I can't let the misstatements go by with implicit assent or
implied consensus.)

About a week ago, Laura Wigod <laura@OAKRIDGE.COM> said:

>However, there's some danger in pointing the finger at other cultures to
>show how bad things still are _elsewhere_. In my mind, the only difference
>between the experience of an American woman and that of a Saudi woman is
>the matter of _degree_ of oppression.

You are mistaken, and probably underinformed.

>I'm always stunned to hear Americans
>go on and on about the atrocities of female genital mutilation rituals in
>Muslim cultures, while remaining blind to the fact that the American
>proclivity towards breast enlargement and liposuction is pretty much the
>same thing - body mutilation to meet a perceived societal standard.

Liposuction is not "pretty much the same thing" as clitoridectomy. The
assertion is false. Your statement suggests that you deliberately amplify
the emotional preconceptions which cloud your perceptions, rather than try
to recognize them.

>I guess what I'm trying to say is that, as lucky as I feel to live in what
>is probably the most progressive society for women, I am not satisfied with
>conditions here by any stretch of the imagination.
>
>Laura "I'll Never Shut Up Until Everything's Alright" Wigod

You're absolutely right, and none of us should shut up until everything's
alright, but misinformation and distortions make things less alright, not
more.

Neil Rest