Male separatist societies

From: Daniel L Krashin (daniel_l.krashin@TAMC.CHCS.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 12:08:05 PDT

Hi! I haven't gotten the FeministSF list in a little while, so I thought I'd
send a test message and also ask a question that's been on my mind:

How many Speculative Fiction stories are there with *male* only separatist
societies? The Feminist SF biblio lists _Ethan of Athos_ by Bujold.
I can think of _The Crime and the Glory of Commander Suzdal_ by Cordwainer
Smith, as well (although his Skopsies are off-camera for most of the story).

Are there any others out there, and how do they get around the obvious
problem of reproduction? (In _Ethan_ they use ectogenesis, I think, in
_Crime and Glory_ it's not really clear).

P.S. Anyone else out there in Feminist SF-land read the latest issue of the
New York Review of Science FIction with the short and long lists for the
Tiptree awards? Comments?

Daniel Krashin
"My opinions do not represent those of the gummint, in fact they're barely
even my opinions..."