Re: "Parable of the Sower"

From: Kate Bolin (kbolin@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 30 1997 - 14:18:24 PDT

> Kate Bolin wrote:
> Lauren Olamina was a heroine of mine throughout the rest of my high school
> days.
>
> What makes Lauren Olamina a heroine with whom you can really identify?

        Because she was young. And smart. And knew that, no matter what
the situation, she had to survive. She was very down-to-earth, but she
still had her eyes turned towards the stars.
        She was, basically, what I hoped I could become. Someone who
could handle whatever came her way, and do it in a way that seemed
natural, realistic (unlike a lot of other heroes/heroines that seem to be
able to do superhuman feats).
        What also got me was her inner peace. The fact that she was able
to create "Earthseed" by herself. Something like that would take great
inner peace and great wisdom, and she was only eighteen!
        I always hoped that I could be that calm, that resourceful, that
amazing.

kate