_Glory Season_

From: Maryelizabeth Hart (mystgalaxy@AX.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 11:40:31 PDT

>-- Joel VanLaven commented:

> Well, I personally loved _Glory Season_ by David Brin. It is about
>a matriarchial society that was bio-engineered to be so. Some feminists
>have critisized it / disliked it, (perhaps it was a little too harsh on
>the poor matriarchy (especially the anti-male parts). Also, the author
>was apparently an obnoxious jerk about not winning the Tiptree award (he
>mentioned a "feminist cabal") So, read it with a grain of salt. However,
>I think that there is alot to be gotten from it.

It didn't work for me. I think a) the matriarchial founders were just too
manipulative, even more so than the founders of _Women's Country_, and b) I
didn't think the concept of sexuality was dealt with realistically.

Just my $.02.

And don't tell David -- I see him on a regular basis, and I don't think he
would take my negative comments well. :}

Maryelizabeth
Mysterious Galaxy 619-268-4747
3904 Convoy St, #107 800-811-4747
San Diego, CA 92111 619-268-4775 FAX