Re: So who is on this list?

From: Bronwen Turner (bturner@NCHECR.UNSW.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 18:43:10 PDT

Amanda Elliot <a.elliot@UNSW.EDU.AU> said

Hi all
I'm also 'de-lurking' I only found out about this list a few weeks ago so I
guess I'm a newbie too. I'm a postgrad student (Sociology) at the Uni of
New SOuth Wales (Sydney, Australia) and have been reading SF and fantasy
since I was a kid. I think my mum was petrified I would start to read those
teenage romance novels, and quickly went on the offensive with Tolkien &
Susan Cooper. I have never looked back! My tastes are fairly eclectic and
while I have read some of the classic SF/ utopian books (aswell as being a
rampant star trek fan), its mainly fantasy that I'm into and can never find
enough good feminist books or even strong women characters to read about.
I'm in the final year of my doctoral thesis so I never really find the time
to read as much as I'd like to anyway.
I'm also involved in an organisation called The Women's Library, a volunteer
run, non-funded feminist library (with a collection of over 12000 books that
have all been donated). It has a reasonable collection of SF/fantasy books,
that I'm slowly working my way through.

I'm really enjoying the discussions

Cheers
Mandy
Amanda Elliot
Social Policy Research Centre
University of New South Wales
Kensington, NSW
2052
ph: 385 3845
fax: 385 1049

Mandy,

I was wondering last night whether there were any other Sydneysiders
on the list, as I was going to suggest that we start a reading
group. I can see that you won't be a starter until after the thesis
is finished, but maybe you'll be interested in some recreational
discussion then.

Any one else interested??

Bronwen