Re: So who is on this list?

From: Elizabeth Pandolfo (pandolfo@MACBSD.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 03:25:43 PDT

> I've only become entranced with fantasy and SF in the past few
>>years, become a fan of Star Trek in the past 2 years, and become a fan of
>>Bab5 in the past week. =->
>>

>Elizabeth,
> Which Star Trek? The Next Generation? Deep Space 9? Voyager?
>
>-Sean

All, actually. I saw lots of TNG, and all the movies, and got hooked. I
started watching DS9 and Voyager (though I can't get Voyager where I live
anymore, but I had high hopes of them being able to start writing good
plots to go with what I think is a great cast full of potential). A few
months ago, they started showing TOS locally, so I watch it and just reeled
from the, well, sixties-ish-ness of it, but it's grown on me. I like
Spock. =->

I greatly like and admire the women on DS9 and Voyager (and Crusher on
TNG), who seemed quite strong and capable to me. I didn't have a problem
with any of their love interests or with Kira's pregnancy (after all,
Visitor really was pregnant and it was either her character was pregnant
too or we didn't see her for 5 months; talk about empowering women), since
I don't see why a strong character can't have a relationship. I think Dax
and Worf, and Kira's relationships, haven't demeaned either of those women.
I wish TNG had done better with Troi, she could have been a great
character. I admired Ro, but I didn't ever really like her.

I've been impressed with DS9 in the past year; the writing is strong, the
characters have shaped up well, and all isn't pleasant anymore. I hope
I'll be able to see what those in charge do with what they've created.

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth L. Pandolfo/Briggs
pandolfo@macbsd.com

"Whatever happens, believe that the journey is worth taking..." --Peth, "Seaward"