_The Fifth Sacred Thing_

From: Kate Bolin (kbolin@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 07:36:09 PDT

        Well, I just finished reading it, and I'm still not sure if I
thought it was good.
        Maybe it's because I'm not too terribly fond of eco-feminist
utopias, or maybe because it just didn't feel very realistic to me. I
guess it's because I had never really dealt with pagan/communistic/hippie
until I got to college.
        I guess one thing that irked me about the book was the almost
condescending attitude it had towards gay men. They were in a separate
part of town. They were always wearing costume jewelry and other tacky
garments. It was almost like....they were just being relegated to being
trivial.
        And why wasn't there a women-only space? Why did the faerie men
have their own little part of town and the separatist women didn't? Why
did I get the feeling that Starhawk was more or less trivializing gay men
because they didn't sleep with women, who are embodiments of the goddess?

        Sorry about my ranting and raving. I got very little sleep last
night and this has been bugging me for a while.
Kate Bolin
       "The computer is not a penis. Don't let men treat it like one."
                Kate Bolin http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~kbolin
                     Founder of Delenn Deserves Better!!