Re: book exchange/shopping service

From: Laura Quilter (lauramd@uic.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 07:58:19 PDT

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Holly Yasui wrote:

> At 09:14 AM 7/7/97 -0500, Neil Rest wrote:
> >So for a while, I've been wondering about suggesting to this list some sort
> >of book-exchange or shopping-service arrangement. I have no particular
> >organizational details in mind, more general friendly functionality.
>
> I think a book exchange/shopping service would be great! I live in Mexico
> (in the U.S. now, for the summer), and was delighted to find this list ...
> but how frustrating it will be to read ABOUT all these great books and not
> be able to get them once I return.
>
> I, for one, would be willing to put in some time organizing and maintaining
> such a service. I am learning HTML and I'd be happy to build some pages,
> since Laura so kindly offers space on this server, and Maryelizabeth toots
> her own horn (-: I loved it!!)

Great. Maybe a basic page would include some booksellers (I would prefer
to focus on independent booksellers) for rare & out-of-print & imported &
sf stuff; also a list of willing acquisitions contacts & whether they want
exchange or money (and in what currency); and finally a list of "titles
wanted" with contact info. There will be element of financial risk
involved, obviously, so that should be clear to anyone, and listed on the
page - it's a good-faith honor system. Probably also a note that people
should really try their used/out-of-print/import bookstores first. I
don't have any other ideas - does that sound like a good way to handle it?
Maybe we can start that way and see how busy it gets to decide if a more
formal structure is demanded.

Holly, if you create the basic web page and send it to me
(lauramd@uic.edu) I'll put it up and post the URL. As soon as I can (next
couple of months?) I'm going to purchase web space and provide accounts on
it - at that point you could edit the page directly. In the meantime
this won't be too awkward.

When you're compiling the info from people who've volunteered thus far to
be contacts let me know. I'll be a US-midwest contact (but there should
be more than one of us since so much SF comes out in the US) - will
happily send copies of stuff overseas for exchange or US$.

> Holly Yasui

Laura Quilter / lauramd@uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago