Re: Star trek again..Major Kira and Commander Dax

From: Kym Ragusa (vbald@INTERPORT.NET)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 17:41:49 PDT

This is exactly what I mean. I think you're right, Robin, about both Kira &
Dax. The issues is representation: these are fictional characters created
by writers who are working within a particular set of political confines.
This is not even a "conspiracy" - representation of gender & sexuality in
mainstream film & tv is really limited and limiting, and when there are
exceptions to that rule, with characters like Kira, Dax, or even Ellen (the
coming out episode), these characters are ultimately reigned in in some way
or another.

I think we need to differentiate issues of representation and the social &
political forces that shape representation in mainstream media from
psychological justifications about why characters appear or act the way
they do. What do other people think? Are these issues clearer in literature
than they are for tv?

Kym