Re: Star trek again..Major Kira and Commander Dax

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 17:11:36 PDT

>I think we need to differentiate issues of representation and the social &
>political forces that shape representation in mainstream media from
>psychological justifications about why characters appear or act the way
>they do. What do other people think? Are these issues clearer in literature
>than they are for tv?

I don't think you can and still be fair, holistically-speaking, because
they're interwined. Social and political forces are empowered by people of
certain views. These views are formed by a certain frame of mind, or
personal psychology, which in turn is made up by a certain socialization,
which is---you get the idea.

-Sean