Re: postfeminism

From: Brigid Venables. (9309629n@MAGPIE.MAGILL.UNISA.EDU.AU)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 17:12:57 PDT

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> Folks,
> We've got, sort of, definitions of feminism. Great. Anybody want
> to define, succinctly, postfeminism and throw out a grenade or two on how
> that'd relate to SF?

Are you talking about postmodern feminism (i.e. - Kristeva, Irigaray,
etc) - in which case, I wonder if a succinct definition is helpful.
Truly, I'm not trying to be a "smartarse", but I think it is far
more helpful to explore theories of postmodernity within the genre of
science fiction - for example, Donna (Harroway?)'s "Cyborg Manifesto".

 I have my ideas, but I wanna see yours before I show
> you mine (sorry. That was sooo juvenile ;-) ). Translation: I'm still
> working on a definition of postfeminism.
>
> -Sean

I think it is a fascinating pursuit: as a sci-fi writer, however, I know
that these concepts aren't very marketable - would someone please tell me
that I'm wrong, as I'm sick and tired of writing for the 'white, male and
paranoid' market. (isn't that nasty - I"m sorry.)