Dreamsnake!

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@BEST.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 20:56:02 PDT

I am so glad that "Dream Snake" was mentioned.
(McIntrye, Vonda N. 1978. New York: Dell.
ISBN: 0-440-11729-1). Something besides Ursula
LeGuin that I have actually read.

Great story. I like the people: Melissa,
Grum, Snake. . . I like that a place I have
never been was made real to me. I like how the
reader learns the history of this place and of
the peoples: gradually and indirectly. (Such
as by the visit to the broken dome. . .). It's
done well.

I like that disability in various forms is
introduced WITHOUT being a metaphor directed
toward a main character (unless I am really
missing something).

I'd love to discuss this book with anyone who
is interested. I am too tired to be succinct
right at the moment. There are many aspects
of this book deserving attention.

Until I saw Vonda's response to an email about
stories regarding reproduction, I had not
considered "Dream Snake" to be SF. Duh! I don't
get out much. <:)

What is even better is that I am reminded that
there is a character who is a girl with a
disability in this novel. I am collecting
references for a bibliography of girls and women
in fiction with disabilities and have a new one
to add! YEA!

BTW, this bibliography is on-line at my personal
website and is available to be shared with all.
If you come across any girls and/or women with
disabilities in your reading (SF or other), I
would be very glad for the information.

Thanks. Ironic that the author would be
the human who indirectly reminded me, yes?

Lindy Lovvik

--
"If the world were a logical place, men would
 ride side-saddle."  Rita Mae Brown

Visit Laorka's Web: http://www.best.com/~laorka