Re: Men/women communication styles

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 17:40:28 PDT

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Neil Rest wrote:

[snip]

><snip>
>>Regarding science fiction - technology could be
>>used to 'mask' or subvert ones sex or sexuality (we haven't even started
>>on queer theory)
>
>"Queer theory"? I have trouble making sense of the phrase. What do you mean?

ACK. In my opinion discussion of just that question alone is worthy of
months or years of my time. I spent two years in college in a
"Queer Theory Discussion Group" that was led by a brilliant, dynamic young
prof. Rarely did we discuss anything at all except for "What is Queer
Theory?." I was left with the impression that in a really cool
interesting and strange way, a cornerstone of Queer Theory is the process
of discussing it. Unfortunately, this is a sci-fi group and while we
would discuss sci-fi every once in a while, I think that the discussion
would tend to leave this group's mission.

In a sound byte,
I see queer theory as an anti-normative philosophy pushing ever-more
complex views of difference and similarity, exloration and embracement of
other possibilities and world views, acceptance of discomfort, and
celebration of the "other". In particular and in it's genesis, Queer
theory has a sexuality focus. However, I do not see it as asking for a
piece-meal "seat at the table" for any particular group but as calling for
fundamental changes to our divisive, inaccurate, and hegemonic a or b
culture across all such lines like race, sex, sexuality, and spirituality.
However, the goal is not comfort. The goal is reasonable, invigorating,
life-affirming discomfort.

In many ways, science fiction fits right into Queer Theory.
As far as I know, it is also many similarities to Cyborg theory.

I would love to hear what someone else has to say about it. Perhaps I
only saw one version of Queer Theory and in general usage it doesn't mean
what I think at all.

-- Joel VanLaven