queer theory; was Re: Men/women communication styles

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 07:15:03 PDT

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Joel VanLaven wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Neil Rest wrote:
> >"Queer theory"? I have trouble making sense of the phrase. What do you mean?
>
> In a sound byte,
> I see queer theory as an anti-normative philosophy pushing ever-more
> complex views of difference and similarity, exloration and embracement of
> other possibilities and world views, acceptance of discomfort, and
> celebration of the "other". In particular and in it's genesis, Queer
> theory has a sexuality focus. However, I do not see it as asking for a
> piece-meal "seat at the table" for any particular group but as calling for
> fundamental changes to our divisive, inaccurate, and hegemonic a or b
> culture across all such lines like race, sex, sexuality, and spirituality.
> However, the goal is not comfort. The goal is reasonable, invigorating,
> life-affirming discomfort.
>
> I would love to hear what someone else has to say about it. Perhaps I
> only saw one version of Queer Theory and in general usage it doesn't mean
> what I think at all.
>
> -- Joel VanLaven

Joel, I think this is quite a good explanation. I thought I'd add my
two cents worth.

First it's important to know that the word queer itself is like a
battleground, or sometimes quicksand. It's used in two popular ways (1)as
an inclusive term that goes beyond gay, & lesbian, to include bi,
transsexual, transvestite, transgendered generally, s&m practitioners, and
other sex/gender deviants. (2)and/or as as something beyond just an
identity politic, implying a radical opposition to the dominant
sex/gender/hetero norms/system, closely associated with Queer Nation.

I find in popular usage it means two conflicting things, either a more
inclusive identity politic, or the rejection of a me too identity politic
in favour of a radical way of looking at sexuality and the world. But
maybe these things aren't in such conflict, 'identity politics' are
necessarily a conservative place at the table thing.

Anyways, hope that helps some.

Robin
Resistance is fruitful.