Re: Test Tube Babies

From: Brigid Venables. (9309629n@MAGPIE.MAGILL.UNISA.EDU.AU)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 17:33:57 PDT

> >If reproduction no longer requires sex, that
> >changes the fundamental power structure completely.
>
> I believe that was the basis of Shulamith Firestone's theory of in vitro
> baby-making as the gateway to women's freedom in THE DIALECTICS OF SEX,
> an early radical feminist/Marxist text that blew my teeny mind when I read
> t in -- college, I think.

> Suzy

It blew my teeny mind as well - (and what a name!) - but now it troubles
me greatly. I recently commenced a novel in which a group of
radical feminists had harnassed cloning in order to produce children
'sans' the man, basing my theory around what I now realise was radical
feminist ideology still lodged in the brain.
In the end, I couldn't convince myself that this was all it took.
Thankyou very much for this enthusiastic discussion - I've been inspired
to go back and re-read all the Ursula Le Guin novels of my childhood:
obviously if there's a comment to be made in the genre of feminist
science fiction, she's probably already made it.

Brigid Venables.