Re: feminist cyberpunk and the awful Tulane University Library

From: Susan Marie Groppi (groppi@hcs.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 09:21:39 PDT

Kate Bolin wrote:
> As for just going to a bookstore and purchasing books....I am a college
> student, who is going through her first summer away from home. In other
> words, I am terribly broke. The only way I get new books is if I take
> books that I get as gifts and exchange them.

Third summer away from home, and not substantially less poor over here.
:)

Here's something that won't really help you in the short term, but I feel
fairly strongly about nonetheless--does Tulane have a science fiction
association? Here at Harvard, our SF association is about ten years old,
very active, and recieving almost no support from the college. But we've
managed to assemble a fairly kick-ass science fiction library, primarily
off of donations. It's the kind of thing that starts off slowly--at first
it lived in the co-chair's dorm room in three boxes, and then we begged
office space (in the form of a former storage closet) from one of the
Houses (dorms) and somehow got bookshelves with it. It's been a few
years, but with a collection built almost entirely from graduating
senior's cast-offs, we're not doing too badly. In fact, we got a donation
of over 1100 books last summer from some complete stranger, more than
doubling the size of our collection and giving us, for the first time,
some of the books that people don't usually want to get rid of.

                -- Susan

groppi@hcs.harvard.edu
                                   i found god in myself and i loved her
                                        i loved her fiercely -- n.shange