Re: Mars

From: Lori A. Campbell (lcampbel@MAIL.COIN.MISSOURI.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 10:50:58 PDT

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Brigid Venables. wrote:

> > At 1:17 AM 7/12/97, Pat York wrote:
> >
> > >Hmm, if engineering becomes a woman-dominated field will the pay go
> > >down? (g)
> >
> It happened in the field of librarianship! We've had to re-invent
> ourselves as "information managers" (or information scientists) lest we
> be thought of as overpaid clerks.

Ain't that the truth. Boy did I mistake getting an M.A. in library
science. Taco Bell managers make more than I do. My husband, who
doesn't even have a Bachelor's degree, makes more than I do. I fact, I
think everyone makes more than I do. We are always thought of as clerks.
The University here puts their library job listings (requiring a
Masters degree) under the Secretarial heading and not under the
Professional heading. I am so disgusted with it all. It seems we
haven't come that long of a ways...

My grandmother, a long time ago, worked for the Historical Society here
as a Librarian. When she left they hired a man in her position for about
twice what she made. My grandmother ran into her old boss some time
after this and he apologized to her for paying her such a low salary
(because she is a woman). He said she did a heck of a lot better job
than this man does.

Lori>