Re: Mars

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 13:28:42 PDT

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Sean Johnston wrote:

> >Very true. But where do you think all those billions of dollars get spent?
> >Some, at least, go to salaries -- keeping people employed -- (including
> >the janitors who clean the buildings and the truckers who bring in the
> >raw materials). Those salaries generally go to food and clothing and
> >education for the children, etc. Certainly, big business keeps a lot of
> >the money (which should go in part to the stockholders, many of whom are
> >NOT the few enormously wealthy); but none of it leaves the earth.
> >
> >Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry about that.
> >
> >Martha Bartter
> >Truman State University
>
> Martha,
> No need to apologize. Once in a while, a person says stuff others
> are thinking but don't know how to express adequately for lack of
> information. You've done just that, so thanks.
>
> -Sean

I just finished reading a book called Firestar by Michael (oh I forget his
last name, anyone?), which certainly agrees with the argument you made,
and more, in favour of investment is space exploration in a near future
America. While I disagree somewhat I enjoyed the book and its take,
though one-sided, on the advantages, social/political/educational/ and
economic of pursuing space.

The fact is that not all the money spent on the project ends up in the
hands of workers, and not even the same proportion as if the money was
spent in other industries. The space industry is expensive-materials
heavy, and labour costs create fewer high-paying jobs, which are
traditional 'good jobs' in any event, high-tech/education science jobs
which overwhelmingly go to men who are already most able to survive in the
modern economy.

One other note about Firestar, the main character is a woman, and I was
impressed that the male author managed to create a very complex authentic
feeling woman character, something I find too few male authors do.

robin.