Re: Poppy Z. Brite

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 13:57:09 PDT

Thanks, Nicola, for the salutory reminder that
>It must also be remembered, of course, that feminism is always >relative:
Brite might really be struggling hard with what to her *are* >feminist
issues, even though some of us might regard them as pre- >101 stuff, the
alphabet we had to understand before we could even >read, never mind take
advanced courses.
I will remember that next time I read something in which the female
protagonist seems to be 'one of the boys' an honorary man without a context of
female friends and support, in fact with other women often positioned as
rivals and enemies. As a historian whose field is partly women's history, I
notice that I and other people in the field are often kinder to the
contradictions of women in the past than in the present (except, of course,
for the ones who are harsher towards them!)
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@msn.com