Re: Poppy Z. Brite--

From: Nicola Griffith (NicolaZ@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 17:58:24 PDT

In a message dated 97-07-17 20:00:34 EDT, Kate wrote:

<< I have trouble considering Poppy Z. Brite a feminist author. All
 female characters in her books are overshadowed by the men, who are
 usually androgynous and can pass for women.>>

Oh, believe me, I have trouble, too. What I was saying was that if she
*considers* herself a feminist (and I don't know if she does or not, but I've
met her and I think it would surprise her that others thought she was
anti-feminist [hope that twisted construction makes sense to everyone]), then
she *is*--by her definition, anyway. Maybe she genuinely believes her work
is liberating for women in some way. But maybe she just doesn't give a shit.
 I don't know. I was just trying to make the point that feminism means
different things to different people.

Nicola

Nicola Griffith
http://www.america.net/~daves/ng/