Re: Contact movie (minor spoilers) and the portrayal of women

From: Susan Marie (susan@ASYLUM.APOCALYPSE.ORG)
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 07:52:50 PDT

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> I wonder how much of Ellie's isolation from female co-workers is simply the
> usual male-authored cliche on Sagan's part and how much of it is the way
> things still are (or were when Sagan wrote the book in the late 1980s)
> for women working in the hard sciences. Anyone here have the kind of
> background to comment on this from first hand experience?

Well, Sagan co-authored the book (and movie) with his wife, who I
believe has first-hand experience in the field. So the isolation is
not just a male-author cliche.

Also, while I can't speak to what it's like at NASA, I do know that
women are still very much isolated in a lot of sciences. One of my
housemates is in a computer-science research group, and their
advisor/leader is a woman, but she's the only one on the team and
doesn't have any female colleagues outside of the research team. A
friend of mine is doing physics research and if there are any other
women in her building, she's unaware of their existence.

<shrug> Maybe the situation is better when you get out of academia?

                -- Susan

                                                  susan@apocalypse.org

  "Using lynx is like wearing jeans without underwear--nothing is supported,
  and it chafes."
                  --The Boys