Re: So who is on this list?

From: Marilyn Nulman (mnulman@CURTISLIBRARY.COM)
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 16:18:23 PDT

Hi, Elizabeth,

I enjoyed your intro letter. I'm very interested in YA fantasy as I work
with kids at my local library and am always looking for books to recommend
to them. So far I've had good luck with the Alana books by Tamara Pierce,
about a girl who switches places with her brother--he goes off to become a
sorcerer and she to become a knight. Also, there are three books about Wren
by ???? Smith--if you need the name I can find it for you. Titles: Wren's
Rescue, Wren's Quest and Wren's War.

You must know Lloyd Alexander's Taran series. They're not exactly feminist,
althoug there are many strong female characters, but they are Celtic--or
Welsh. Does that count?

Meredith Pierce wrote a strange and affecting trilogy about a child-woman
abandoned in a land of monsters, and Jo Clayton has written several books
with young female characters, among them the Drinker of Souls trilogy--not
sure if they'd be considered YA, though. I had to mention them--I liked
them so much.
Sheri Tepper's Jinian books fascinated me, too.

I have four great cats and one cat-loving dog. I write, right now a fantasy
which may run to three or four volumes, also mysteries.

Hope to hear from you--

Regards, Marilyn