Re: Mars and social justice

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 14:11:35 PDT

Daniel L Krashin <daniel_l.krashin@TAMC.CHCS.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
>Just a few thoughts on the Pathfinder discussion, since I didn't get a chance
>to write anything about it all week. I was frankly surprised at how negative
>people were about the space program -- I hope there are a lot of listmembers
>out there who are more positive about space exploration but less outspoken.

<snip, snip, snip>

>Without even getting into the arrogance of Feyerabend's riff about
>"well-conditioned materialistic contemporaries," I find this quote amazing
>coming from someone on this list... I always thought one of the brilliant
>things about Science Fiction as opposed to mainstream literature was that
>S.F. noticed that technology actually effects everyday life. To be
>completely uninterested in the moonshots, DNA (i.e. the secret of life) and
>thermodynamics (i.e. how the universe works) seems to me to speak of either
>lack of education, lack of imagination, or sheer bloodyminded Luddism.

Thank you; I've avoided the thread because I'm too outspokenly pro-space
development. I didn't want to risk a flamefest so tangential to the list
topic.

For instance: Perhaps the greateast single factor in our Earthly problems
is population pressure. Nothing else aggravates more other problems worse.
 The known, proven solution to high birth rates is affluence. We have no
better strategy toward universal affluence than space industrialization.

There is no ecology on out Moon, or on the asteroids. If you want to
return a patch of the Moon's surface to the contidion it was in before you
strip-mined it, just walk away from it!

Neil Rest