Fwd: Different but Equal ???

From: Nicole Youngman (NYOUNGMAN@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 14:55:19 PDT

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj: Re: Different but Equal ???
Date: 97-07-21 17:54:49 EDT
From: NYOUNGMAN
To: Joel VanLaven <jvl@ocsystems.com>

<< For some ungodly reason, some "feminists" have tried to
 find differences between men and women. There have been books and
 television shows about "the differences between men and women" that have
 been given tacit approval by such feminists and their work. >>

Are you talking about researchers like Gillian, Belenky, Pipher, Tanner etc?
I think their main point is that boys/men and girls/women are *socialized*
differently, hence we *tend* to have some notable differences in how we see
things, make decisions, and express ourselves. That's a long way from
claiming that men and women have essential biological differences that "make"
them a certain way.

And if we're ever going to have true equality of opportunity, there *are*
some instances where men and women may need to be treated in ways that
respect biological differences. While I'm not crazy about the Pregnancy
Disablity Act that treats pregnancy as a disease either, let's face it,
there's really no male equivalent of *maternity* leave, though obviously
*family* leave should be available to everyone.

Nicole