Re: Poppy Z. Brite

From: Robin A. Dubner Dubner (RADubner@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 14:27:26 PDT

     I read one of Brite's novels about a year ago and have no interest in
reading anything else of hers. I have no problem with women writing horror or
vampire stories if they are well written, i.e., Chelsea Quinn Yarbo.
Unfortunately, Brite's book (I forget the title), was an unimaginative rip-off
of Anne Rice's vampire books: the same decadent New Orlean's setting with
aimless characters rotting in ennui, and the same self-indulgent style of
writing.
     On the other hand, I discovered Sheri S. Tepper a couple of months ago
and I've been devouring everything of hers I can get my hands on. The first
book I read was The Gate to Women's Country, and I just loved it. Now, eight
Sheri S. Tepper books later, I feel like going on a personal crusade to get
her books read by everyone. Her feminism, great character development and
lyrical writing are without comparison. I heartily enjoy the repeated themes
of ecological disaster due to uncontrolled human breeding and the evils of
religious fundamentalism. I love the development of her female protaganists
into strong independent women.
     Anyone out there who wants to talk Sheri S. Tepper with me?