Re: Poppy Z. Brite

From: Denise Borgen (borgen@ESKIMO.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 17:53:52 PDT

I also love Tepper, even though she is frequently so extreme in her
positions that I wonder if she is pulling our collective leg. You should
try her mysteries as well, She writes under the name Oliphant and Orde.
She also wrote a horror story under the name of Horlak. Currently Iam
trying to locate her earlier works, Marianne etc.

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Robin A. Dubner Dubner wrote:

> I read one of Brite's novels about a year ago and have no interest in
> reading anything else of hers. I have no problem with women writing horror or
> vampire stories if they are well written, i.e., Chelsea Quinn Yarbo.
> Unfortunately, Brite's book (I forget the title), was an unimaginative rip-off
> of Anne Rice's vampire books: the same decadent New Orlean's setting with
> aimless characters rotting in ennui, and the same self-indulgent style of
> writing.
> On the other hand, I discovered Sheri S. Tepper a couple of months ago
> and I've been devouring everything of hers I can get my hands on. The first
> book I read was The Gate to Women's Country, and I just loved it. Now, eight
> Sheri S. Tepper books later, I feel like going on a personal crusade to get
> her books read by everyone. Her feminism, great character development and
> lyrical writing are without comparison. I heartily enjoy the repeated themes
> of ecological disaster due to uncontrolled human breeding and the evils of
> religious fundamentalism. I love the development of her female protaganists
> into strong independent women.
> Anyone out there who wants to talk Sheri S. Tepper with me?

~ Denise M. Borgen ~ If the world were a logical ~
~ ~ place, men would ride sidesaddle ~
~ ~ -Rita Mae Brown ~
~ borgen@eskimo.com ~ ~