Contact

From: Nicole Youngman (NYOUNGMAN@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 22:06:15 PDT

<< << ltimmel@HALCYON.COM (L. Timmel Duchamp)

 discrepancies or ingredients of movies usually come from a director's wish
 simplify a plot and downsize the cast of characters. >>

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am utterly amazed at how much this movie
is being analyzed to death. It's a two-hour endeavor, folks, there's only so
much time there. There's no way the director could have given us the entire
story of how she survived adolescence AND her earlier childhood. Regarding
the relationship with her father, I thought the point was that she had a
wonderful, supportive parent in her childhood that inspired her to use her
mind, thinking for herself and figuring things out, in a time when girls
weren't generally encouraged to do much more than learn how to catch a
husband. And I thought her comments to the priest after her father's death
had little if anything to do for feeling guilty about it, but were rather a
rejection of the priest's interpretation of the event: It was *not* "God's
will"; it happened because he had a bad heart and couldn't get to his
medicine in time, assuming that would have helped. Logic, not superstition,
right?

And regarding the hearings at the end, why the hell *shouldn't* she feel
emotional and intimidated? Wouldn't anyone, regardless of sex, regardless of
how sure they were of their testimony? I thought the idea was to make the
audience proud of how *well* she held up under the circumstances, and to have
that reinforced by seeing the supportive crowds outside afterwards. Or do we
want to strive for some ridiculous hyper-masculine ideal of showing no
emotion no matter what?

Anyone who hasn't read the book, please do so. Sagan is indeed an excellent
writer.
And speaking of which...

>I, myself, am about to pick up one of his previous novels, perhaps Comet.

Whoa!! Hang on a sec!! He wrote *other* novels? And all this time I've been
lamenting that he never wrote more fiction?! Some kind soul please tell me
what they are so I can go hunting!!

Thanks!

Nicole