Re: Overpopulation

From: Nicole Youngman (NYOUNGMAN@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 21:25:39 PDT

<< Are you saying that the higher people's income, the less likely they are
 to have children? This seems plausible to me, based on anecdotal
 evidence, but why is it so? Any sociologists out there?

How about sociologist-in-training? <g> Actually, yes, better-off people *do*
tend to have fewer children. We're not sure yet why that is. It may be
because there's a correlation between being working-class or poor and the
likelihood of being a member of a religious group that preaches against birth
control, or because poor girls see very little *other* options for their
lives and start having (lots of) kids sooner, whereas middle- and upper-class
girls are more likely not to get pregnant because they're more careful, not
wanting to screw up their futures. People who are better-educated tend to be
better off (and vice versa) and have fewer children as well. More
opportunities for women definately helps lower birth rates *and* infant
mortality rates.

One excellent book on the subject (poverty and teen pregnancy, that is) is
Kristin Luker's _Dubious Conceptions_.

Nicole