Re: FEM-SF Mundane -Reply

From: Ildney Cavalcanti (ildney.cavalcanti@STRATH.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 06:02:51 PDT

>My rather lazy solution is not to get into genre discussions at all, if
>possible, but to stick to describing/referring to individual books. If anyone
>else has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.
>
>Regards
>Deirdre

Hi, Deirdre,

Unfortunely, the people who are writing academic works about sf cannot avoid
the genre discussion. My own solution has been to try to define what brings
the stories I am working with together, and to stress the fact that
descriptions come dangerously close to prescriptions and that the definition
I am working with is "operational" and provisional (not final or
all-inclusive). I am not sure we can avoid genre discussions even outside
the "academic environment", though. What brings the people in this list
together, if not the *genre* (fluid version of the concept, please remember
that)?