Re: female quest narratives

From: Ildney Cavalcanti (ildney.cavalcanti@STRATH.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 01:10:33 PDT

Erik wrote:

The problem of
>course is that you could probably reduce all quest narratives to this
>formalist theory thus over-simplifying the text. In any case, what do you
>all think?

I agree that the concept of the hero monomyth *is* simplistic and maybe too
formalist. On the other hand, it appears to be very useful in order to
stress one of the gender differences in quest narratives. Collective
protagonists (as opposed to *one* female hero - or heroine - I still have
not chosen which term to use...) abound in feminist sf. I can think of
Wittig's Les Guerrilleres (spelling?), Charnas's free fems and riding women,
Gearhart's hill women, etc. Could you give me the full reference for the
monomyth theory, please?

Ildney