Re: female quest narratives

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 07:04:03 PDT

[this got marooned in my out queue on Friday; I hope it's still timely enough]
Ildney Cavalcanti <ildney.cavalcanti@STRATH.AC.UK> wrote:
>(as opposed to *one* female hero - or heroine - I still have
>not chosen which term to use...)

One of the most intriguing ad hoc monologues I've ever heard at a con
(science ficiton convention) was Gordy Dickson talking about the lack of a
feminine equivalent of the word "hero". ("Heroine" certainly isn't it!)
His example of such a character was Pilar in _For Whom the Bell Tolls_.

Neil Rest