Re: Overpopulation; a short story

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 07:04:28 PDT

[this got marooned in my out queue on Friday; I hope it's still timely enough]
"Janice E. Dawley" <jdawley@TOGETHER.NET> asks:
>At 04:25 PM 7/24/97 +0800, Melanie Dunstan wrote:
>>Nicole Youngman wrote:
>>>
>>> How about sociologist-in-training? <g> Actually, yes, better-off people
>*do*
>>> tend to have fewer children. We're not sure yet why that is. <snip>
>>
>>One of the biggest reasons - and you're not necessarily going to like
>>this but I've got enough empirical evidence to convince me - is
>>SELFISHNESS.
>
><snip>
>
>I'd like some clarification. I took this hypothetical situation to mean:
>the TINKs have money, therefore they are selfish, and therefore they have
>no children. The other couple are poor, therefore they are not selfish,
>therefore they have children. I can't see how this makes any sense.

Not exactly. The couple with the money has the opportunity to be selfish;
the choice between junior's college fund and a newer Testosterona is a real
choice. The poorer couple will be relatively poor no matter what.

Neil