Re: Overpopulation and ecological theory

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 07:04:37 PDT

[this got marooned in my out queue on Friday; I hope it's still timely enough]
Anne V Stuecker <avs5@JUNO.COM> asks:
>Beth Middleton <bmiddleton@PLANT.SIU.EDU> writes:
>>Colinvaux's take on this is that humans fill different economic
>>niches, much like plant and animal populations. The wealthy niche is
>rather small,
>>but consumptive. Necessarily, wealthier people have fewer children,
>>because there is a smaller economic niche for them to fill.
>
>What does that mean, "smaller economic niche"? Wealthier people have
>more economic resources. I'm confused.

More consumption per capita means fewer individuals can be supported in a
given situation. How many Joads can live on what a Rockefeller consumes?

[disclaimer for the clue-impaired: the above names are used in a cartoon
manner as commonly understood images]

Neil