Re: McCaffery: Freedom's Landing

From: Dawn L. Anderson (anderbdm@WIN.BRIGHT.NET)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 12:47:30 PDT

Robin Gordon wrote:

> This weekend's wander through the bookstore yielded something I haven't
> read in a long time, an Anne McCaffery book. As others have mentioned I
> read her work when I was younger, enjoyed the Crystal Singer books as a
> teenager but wouldn't think of her as one of my favourtie authors, and I'm
> not into fantasy generally, so have avoided the dragon books.
>
> I have to say I really enjoyed Freedom's Landing, and I think there's a
> sequel which I'll go looking for this week. The lead female character was
> strong, resourceful, three dimensional, and very believable. I liked the
> aliens as well, and the complexity of social interactions. The mystery of
> the planet Botany unfolds well, and kept me reading late into the night.
> I certainly look forward to the second one.
>
> has anyone else read this? I'm interested to know what you thought.
>
> Robin.

Hi Robin

I just have one correction for you and that is the "dragon" books
(Pern) are Science Fiction. Ann gets very testy when you call them
Fantasy. I don't know why she just does. I was at a chat where she was
the guest speaker and she made that point rather quickly.

As for Freedom's Landing yes I have read and enjoyed it also and the
sequel is Freedom's Choice which is also pretty good. Have you read
Powers That Be series from AM? If so what did you think of them? I
didn't really like them, which bothered me as I usually enjoy
everything by AM.

Dawn