Re: TINKs

From: Laura Wigod (laura@OAKRIDGE.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 17:10:13 PDT

>>And if you had the lifestyle and the income of the Tinks (and I
>>personally know a few myself who are in exactly this position and for
>>whom the biological clock is ticking) - ask yourself; which would you
>>choose? Kids or no kids?
>
>Whoa Melanie, that was quite an essay!! ;-)

Yes, Melanie - VERY impressive!

I guess I don't see making the decision not to have children as selfish.
What I see as selfish is someone making the decision to have children
without having a CLUE as to what is involved. Even worse, I think it's
selfish to continue to have both parents working while the children are
pre-school age just because they want a second car or a huge, expensive
home or another TV or VCT or CD or the list goes on and on.........And,
yes, I'm saying someone's career should be put on hold. It doesn't mean it
has to be the woman - nosirree, Bob. Those first five years are the most
important in a child's development; why have children if you're going to
give someone else the opportunity to actually raise them? However, I am
completely understanding of couples who just couldn't afford to have one of
them stay home - not because sacrificing that income would mean no trip to
Oahu that year, but because it would mean no food, clothing or shelter.

Laura (don't even get me STARTED on the lack of parenting skills I see all
around me!) Wigod