Re: Tank Girl: was : Movies, Alien 4 / 5th Element

From: Anny Middon (AnnyMiddon@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 30 1997 - 15:44:33 PDT

In a message dated 97-07-29 19:16:29 EDT, NYOUNGMAN@AOL.COM (Nicole Youngman)
writes:

> I went to see 5th Element at the "cheap theater" the other day--y'know,
> movies like that are depressing not just for the obvious sexism
(apparently
> if you're female you have to be almost totally passive and look like a rag
> doll to save the Universe), but because they *could* have been so much
> better. During the 1st half or so I thought it was promising;
unfortunately
> it degraded from there. I felt the same way about Stargate.

I couldn't agree more, Nicole. Great set-up in both, and very disappointing
second half. Frankly I can't understand why Stargate has achieved cult
status, so much so that a TV series just started on Showtime. I thought it
was pretty lame.

Maybe someone on this list can explain it. Why is Stargate so popular?

Anny
AnnyMiddon@aol.com