stargate (was Tank Girl, etc.)

From: Erik Tsao (etsao@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 31 1997 - 06:34:43 PDT

Anny Middon wrote:
>Frankly I can't understand why Stargate has achieved cult
>status, so much so that a TV series just started on Showtime. I thought it
>was pretty lame.
>
>Maybe someone on this list can explain it. Why is Stargate so popular?

It might have something to do with the popularity of Egypt (or
representations of Egypt--no matter how poor) in American culture. I
myself had a BIG problem with the way that the Egyptian Gods, and the
Egyptians themselves, were portrayed in this movie. Why portray the
Egyptian gods as malevolent aliens, and the Egyptians as dupes of these
extra-terrestrial con men?

Erik

Erik Tsao
Graduate Student
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"The naked Senses sometimes see too little -- but then _always_ they see
too much."

--Edgar Allan Poe