Re: suggestions for teaching a short novel or short stories?

From: Janice E. Dawley (jdawley@TOGETHER.NET)
Date: Thu Jul 31 1997 - 16:52:22 PDT

At 03:10 PM 7/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm teaching a freshman writing seminar this autumn called "Science Writes
>Women/Women Write Science" which will start off with Frankenstein

<snip>

>So, any suggestions for me? Target audience is made up of sharp, critically
>sophisticated (by the end of the semester, at least!) eighteen year old
>women... and the length of the work would, for a novel, have to be under
>two hundred pages. Otherwise, I'm looking for three or four short stories.
>Excerpts from a novel could work, too.

I would suggest _The Clewiston Test_, by Kate Wilhelm. The main character
is a woman scientist and the novel raises some still-timely feminist issues
(as well as a number of other ethical issues relating to science and the
corporate world). The novel is slightly over 200 pages (223 pages in my
Pocket Science Fiction edition) and goes pretty quickly.

-- Janice

-----
Janice E. Dawley.....Burlington, VT
http://homepages.together.net/~jdawley/jedhome.htm
Listening to: Feed Your Head, Volume 2; The Best of Márta Sebestyén
"...the public and the private worlds are inseparably connected;
the tyrannies and servilities of the one are the tyrannies and
servilities of the other." Virginia Woolf, Three Guineas