Dreaming Metal

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 08:27:52 PDT

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> > Also, I'd like to pose an earlier question that didn't garner much response
> > last month -- I hope some new people on the list may be able to answer. Can
> > anyone recommend any other good feminist science fiction that deals with
> > issues of race and class? (I can HARDLY WAIT for Nalo's novel! Public
> > kudos, I'm really thrilled.)
> >
> > Holly
> >
> Melissa Scott deals with class issues as well as anyone in science
> fiction. See particularly Night Sky Mine and Dreaming Metal.

  I just read _Dreaming Metal_ and while I generally like her work, I
found it lacking. I would rather recommend _Dreamships_ which deals with
all the exact same issues (_Dreaming Metal_ is it's sequel (sort of)). If
you really like _Dreamships_ and want to read something well written in
the same universe that deals with many of the same underlaying ideas but
with different details and largely different characters or you really want
to know what happens "next" for them, then read _Dreaming Metal_. Of
course that's all my own opinion. Perhaps Mike has a different opinion
(he did recommend it). If so, I'd love to hear why I'm wrong because I'd
like to get more out of it.

-- Joel