Re: goddesses, Fifth Sacred Thing

From: Kate Bolin (kbolin@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 07:08:48 PDT

> I'm currently half way through this on the grounds that I've paid for it
> and am damn' well gonna read it.
> A few questions spring to mind. Why is it always sunny in utopia-land?
> Why are all good-guys so sweeeeeet and lacking in individuality? How did
> they transform a major city into a garden paradise in only a few years
> without sewers collapsing, derelict buildings becoming unsafe, rats
> overrunning the place, etc? How do they manage to have all the useful
> bits of technology they want without the manufacturing side - inventing
> wonderful crystals that do all the difficult bits just wont cut it. In
> other words, is it a feminist utopia because its only about
> spirituality? Are there any feminst utopias that actually "like"
> technology and make an effort to incorporate it sensibly into the story?
> Are there any characters in a utopia who drink beer, play pool, and are
> rude to the neighbours now-and-again?

        Thank Gods.....someone else thought this book was just a little
too....much.
        Now I add my complaints. Why is it that the gay men have their
own little space (their "fairy section") but there isn't any separate
women's space? Why do these people praise the Goddess in all her
incarnations, but get queasy when it comes to violence? After all, the
Goddess does have her violent, blood-sacrifice side. And why do all the
white people down in Southern California seem to be perfectly okay when it
comes to skin cancer, but every white person in the North is dying of it?
And why does Southern California have to be the bad guys? (Okay....no
La-La Land jokes now...)

        I should have just stuck to Octavia Butler. She may be
optimistic, but she's also practical.

Kate Bolin